Saturday, August 7, 2010

Dream Big

David Hobby, Joe McNally, Zack Arias, Syl Arena... Aaron Aubrey??


The first 4 are seasoned professional photographers, they've spent their lives behind the lens honing their skills, failing and succeeding, experimenting, cursing, practicing, cursing some more, almost quitting,  and then finally... ...smiling... because they've done what they've set out to do, which is become the best damn photographer that they can possibly be.

Ohh..so who's that Aaron Aubrey guy??
He's a 20-something with a degree from the school of internet and books, a wheezing camera and a cheap flash, really blue eyes, and a burning desire to also become the best damn photographer that he can possibly be.

But it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll..

About a year ago, I made the decision to pursue becoming a professional photographer. I had been doing Asian studies in college, and I was getting fairly jaded with it, finding the curriculum boring and realizing that this degree has limited job opportunities. And then I took the PHOTO 1100 course (2 words: easy credits) as an elective.. And it just overtook me. I had already been doing a lot of shooting for 2 years before this, but the class made me realize that this is what I had actually wanted to do. I was on the verge of attending the 2 year program at Langara College, but after a lot of thinking, I backed out because I'm not a big fan of the debt monster. I chose to learn as much as I could through reading and watching videos, and put it into practice, practice, practice.

So this is my journey..
This journey has begun because of the choices that I have made, because the time comes when we need to make those choices that will write tomorrow's story. And those choices are scary, just the thought of diving into a new chapter of your tale makes you long for a cubicle, or a classroom, or a gas bar...anything! anything but the uncertainty of your dreams. And so I made my choice to start this new journey, and I am both excited and scared.


Yet confident...


So what is this blog all about??
This blog will be a place for me to document my successes and failures (hopefully there are more success than failure!), to pour over the philosophy of photography, teach what I know to others, and hopefully connect with people who are just like me. 

I know that there's a lot of people out there who are in this same position. Wanting to achieve their dreams of being a photographer, while being limited by financial matters, the constraints of a full-time job, and their own skills (because that's the only thing that really matters in the end). Oh, and don't forget that little thing called LIFE.. it tends to get in the way.. a lot.
For those of you that are in the same position, wherever you may be on your journey, I say come along for the ride. Share your experiences with learning, let us know what worked and what didn't, and how you solved problems. I'd really like to see this progression occur, there really is something amazing about watching somebody get better at something they love.

How to get to the top? First and foremost, I have to shoot..lots.. I just received my 
first bit of lighting gear 3 days ago, so now it's time to organize some shoots and push myself as hard as I can to not only progress, but to also face the challenges of new situations. My friend Raymond Chou told me that shooting is the easiest part of a shoot, it's the organizing that takes time, skill, and dedication. Therefore, I have to do it... I have my light, so now there's no more room for excuses, I must leave all my fears behind and just dive in headfirst and see what happens... because you never know until you try right??

So I honestly hope that there's some people out there who follow this experiment of mine, share their experiences, offer suggestions, of just show their support for what I'm trying to accomplish.
So I finish today by saying, 'forget your fears, make friends with your dreams, love your life, and never, ever, forget that you are the author of every moment..


-AA












                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment